Monday, May 3, 2010

PTU Patient Linda Harris Rides!


Physical Therapy Unlimited patient Linda Harris started road cycling 27 years ago when her home town of Comfort sponsored a 10 mile ride/walk. "My husband wanted me to do something for my health so he dared me to ride. I just wanted to prove to him that I could do it so I took my three speed bicycle from Sears (which was probably my daughter’s bike) and I rode.” Unfortunately Linda didn’t make it up the last hill so she got a ride back in the safety car. But that didn’t deter Linda’s will. Immediately following the ride, she was more determined than ever to keep cycling so she and few friends decided to make it a habit.

Linda and her cycling buddies met twice a week for nine mile rides and every year they registered for the two road rides that their club sponsored. Less than a year after her very first ride, Linda was sporting a brand new Peugeot road bike.

Linda moved to New Braunfels in 1995 and continued riding. She met fellow cyclist Gary Gibson at the PTU Fitness Center. After Gary taught PE all day, he would ride his bike to PTU to work out. They quickly became friends and started cycling together.

Linda currently rides her reconditioned Peugeot road bike, another road bike and a Marin hybrid cross over. She trains at least once a week during the school year and three times a week during the summer. She and her crew ride the annual 30 mile Cuero Wildflower ride in April and the 40 mile Goliad Mission Tour in October. These rides take them anywhere from one hour 45 minutes to two hours 15 minutes.
“Riding has really prolonged my active lifestyle,” said Linda. “It motivates me to keep going and not slow down and I really feel like I’m in great shape. Riding has also been a fun social activity as well.”

When asked what her biggest cycling accomplishment has been Linda replied, “Even at age 68, I feel like I’m getting fitter and stronger. I can sprint and go faster than ever before.”

Linda is currently dealing with some tightness in her low back and hamstrings. PTU is helping her to get stronger and more flexible so she can keep riding and lifting her grandchild.

No comments:

Post a Comment