Thursday, June 10, 2010

PTU Student Physical Therapist: Mary Alexander-Simecki



Mary Alexander-Simecki is not what you would call a traditional physical therapy student. At the age of 40 she began working towards a degree in physical therapy.

Mary was a stay at home mom for 25 years and raised five children. “When I got married, I had two young kids and my groom also had two young kids,” said Mary. “We then had one together which made five young children all within 5 years of age.” Mary wanted to give the kids good stability and direction so she stayed with them while her husband worked out of town for 15 years. “My husband followed his job all over the place but I wanted to keep the family in the same house so we stayed in New Braunfels and have been in the same house for 24 years.”

Mary first entered college when her kids were still young. “I was an engineer major and went to school part-time when my kids were between the ages of four and nine. I had about 64 hours credit but then I quit.”She started back to school full time in 2001 and received a BS in Kinesiology from UTSA in 2001. After taking some time to get through the application process, Mary started working on her Doctorate of Physical Therapy in 2007. “I told my kids that I finally decided what I wanted to be when I grew up.”
She has since completed her classes and is currently working at PTU to complete her last clinical rotation.

Mary had several rotations in which she gained valuable experience. She worked in different settings including hospital based orthopedic outpatient, hospital based short term acute care, and long term acute care at a specialty hospital. “I really enjoy working in long term acute care because I work with challenging patients that have multiple medical conditions and I work with them long enough to build a rapport. I also love working with older patients.”

Mary sees herself working in a hospital based setting so that she can treat a variety of patients. “I will probably work full time for about ten years and then go part-time for five years more. I’d like to find a job that I can stick with for the rest of my career.”

Mary has enjoyed her time at Physical Therapy Unlimited. “The PTU staff is very friendly and they are all easy to get along with. It’s a relaxed atmosphere and it’s also very close to my house.”

When Mary is not studying or working she spends time in her back yard. “Landscaping my back yard is my passion. I like to make it nice so I can BBQ and swim with my friends and my kids.” Mary is also very handy and spent a year remodeling her entire house.


No comments:

Post a Comment